Welcome to Directorate General of Mines Safety
Directorate General of Mines Safety, DGMS in short, is the Regulatory Agency under the Ministry of labour and employment, Government of India in matters pertaining to occupational safety, health and welfare of persons employed in mines (Coal, Metalliferous and oil-mines).
Under the Constitution of India, safety, welfare and health of workers employed in mines are the concern of the Central Government (Entry 55-Union List-Article 246). The objective is regulated by the Mines Act, 1952 and the Rules and Regulations framed there under. These are administered by the Directorate-General of Mines Safety (DGMS), under the Union Ministry of Labour & Employment. Apart from administering the Mines Act and the subordinate legislation there under, DGMS also administers a few other allied legislation, including the Indian Electricity Act.
The organization has its headquarters at Dhanbad (Jharkhand) and is headed by Director-General of Mines Safety. At the headquarter, the Director-General is assisted by specialist staff-officers in mining, electrical and mechanical, occupational health, law, survey, statistics, administration and accounts disciplines. The headquarters has also a technical library and S&T laboratories as a back-up support to the organization.
Officers appointed to different technical posts in DGMS are seleted by U.P.S.C. They are required to have Degree in Mining or Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and several years of experience, varying from seven to ten years of working in responsible capacity in Mines and allied Industry. Besides officers of mining cadre posses First Class Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency. The Occupational Health cadre is manned by qualified and experienced medical personnel. Due to the nature of work performed by the officers of DGMS, the Govt. of India decleared the organization as S & T Institution" on the recommendation of Science and Technology Department of Govt. of India, in November 1987.
To Read More Click Here
Vision of DGMS
To attain risk and hazard free conditions of work and welfare of persons employed in mines.
Mission of DGMS
To identify and reduce risk of accidents and diseases in and around the mine through:-
- Development of suitable legislation, rules, regulations, standards and guidelines;
- Adequate measures to ensure compliance and
- Awareness initiatives to inculcate safety and health culture amongst work-persons and stakeholders.
- Tentative Schedule and List of candidates for Junior examinations to be held by DGMS, SZ in September 2015
- One day brain storming technical session on "Improving Ventilation Systems in Ungerground Coal Mines of M/s MCL"
- LIST OF CANDIDATES PROVISIONALLY CALLED FOR APPEARING IN GAS TESTING EXAMINATION TO BE HELD ON 29th & 30th AUGUST, 2015 AT SILEWARA, VTC, NAGPUR & HINDUSTAN LALPETH VTC, CHANDRAPUR
- List of Candidates for appearing in Mining Sirdar Exam to be held at Vikash Bhavan, Dhanbad from 08th August to 09th August, 2015
- List of Candidates for appearing in Medical Exam to be held at Vikash Bhavan, Dhanbad from 03rd August to 07th August, 2015
- Quotation for repair & maintenance of Govt. Vehicle(Gypsy) of Electrical Circle, DGMS(CZ), Dhanbad
- Tender for purchase of Tyres and Tubes-Last Date-21.09.2015
- Quotation for supply of 75 (Seventy Five) numbers of Original Toner Cartridges of HP make printers for DGMS-Last Date 15-09-2015
- Request for quotation for repair and maintenance of Staff Car no. 17E-6107 (Ambassador Car) of DGMS(HQ), Dhanbad
- Request for quotations for repair and maintenance of Staff Car no. JH-10A-1232 of DGMS(HQ), Dhanbad-Last date-20.08.2015