Welcome to Directorate General of Mines Safety
Directorate General of Mines Safety, DGMS in short, is the Regulatory Agency under the Ministry of labour and employment, Government of India in matters pertaining to occupational safety, health and welfare of persons employed in mines (Coal, Metalliferous and oil-mines).
Under the Constitution of India, safety, welfare and health of workers employed in mines are the concern of the Central Government (Entry 55-Union List-Article 246). The objective is regulated by the Mines Act, 1952 and the Rules and Regulations framed there under. These are administered by the Directorate-General of Mines Safety (DGMS), under the Union Ministry of Labour & Employment. Apart from administering the Mines Act and the subordinate legislation there under, DGMS also administers a few other allied legislation, including the Indian Electricity Act.
The organization has its headquarters at Dhanbad (Jharkhand) and is headed by Director-General of Mines Safety. At the headquarter, the Director-General is assisted by specialist staff-officers in mining, electrical and mechanical, occupational health, law, survey, statistics, administration and accounts disciplines. The headquarters has also a technical library and S&T laboratories as a back-up support to the organization.
Officers appointed to different technical posts in DGMS are seleted by U.P.S.C. They are required to have Degree in Mining or Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and several years of experience, varying from seven to ten years of working in responsible capacity in Mines and allied Industry. Besides officers of mining cadre posses First Class Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency. The Occupational Health cadre is manned by qualified and experienced medical personnel. Due to the nature of work performed by the officers of DGMS, the Govt. of India decleared the organization as S & T Institution" on the recommendation of Science and Technology Department of Govt. of India, in November 1987.
To Read More Click Here
Vision of DGMS
To attain risk and hazard free conditions of work and welfare of persons employed in mines.
Mission of DGMS
To identify and reduce risk of accidents and diseases in and around the mine through:-
- Development of suitable legislation, rules, regulations, standards and guidelines;
- Adequate measures to ensure compliance and
- Awareness initiatives to inculcate safety and health culture amongst work-persons and stakeholders.
- Celebration of Rajbhasha Pakhwara - 2015 in DGMS
- LIST OF CANDIDATES FOR APPEARING GAS TESTING EXAMINATION TO BE HELD UNDER RAIGARH REGION ON 3RD & 4TH OCTOBER, 2015
- Provisional results of Mining Sirdar Examination held at Vikas Bhavan, DGMS, Dhanbad on 8th and 9th August 2015
- Tentative Schedule and List of candidates for Junior examinations to be held by DGMS, SZ in September 2015
- One day brain storming technical session on "Improving Ventilation Systems in Ungerground Coal Mines of M/s MCL"
- Tender notice for Sale of old newspapers and magazines
- Quotation for supply and installation of 30 (thirty) numbers of 12V-42AH SMF Dry Cell battery for one number 5.0 KVA Online UPS installed at the office of Directorate General of Mines Safety, Raigarh Region, Raigarh.
- Quotation for supply of 17 nos. fixed chairs and 5 nos. revolving chairs to DGMS Bhubaneswar region
- Quotation for AMC of Window and Split ACs installed at DGMS, Dhanbad
- Quotation for supply and installation of 16 nos. of 12V-18AH SMF Dry cell batteries for 2KVA UPS at S&T Section and 16 nos. of 12V-42AH SMF Dry cell batteries for 2 nos. 3KVA UPS installed in Administration Section, DGMS, Dhanbad